This guide will help you through the basics to Setup your broadband router.
- 1 x Zyxel P660 R 1 Port Router
- 1 x Ethernet Cable(RJ45)
- 1 x Modem Cable (RJ11)
- 1 x Setup CD
- 2 x Mircofilters
- 1 x Manual
This Modem Supports the following operating systems:
Windows 98,98SE,ME,2000,XP,Vista,Mac OS 8 & OS 9, X 10.1 to 10.4, Linux
Below is what is an is illustration on what you should have received. Version 3.0 is the latest one.
Here are the steps to take in order to install your router onto your PC or Apple Macintosh Computer
1. Fit a micro filter in between the wall socket and each device that shares the telephone line. This is not only telephones but can also include fax machines, burglar alarms, and any satellite equipment. Your modem pack will come with 2 filters but if you need more you can purchase these from any good computer store e.g dixons or PC World. We can also supply them for £4 each.
2. Plug the telephone cable into the DSL socket on the modem, and plug the other end into the micro filter socket marked DSL. * (You may find this is already plugged into the mdoem side. So you may only have to plug this into the DSL socket on the filter)
3. Plug the eternet cable from the back of the router seen here into the back of the PC
4. If you have your router plugged in you should see the one of the numbers between 1-4 light up if you connect more than one ethernet cable up more than one number will light up depending on which socket on the back of the router you plug the router into.
See the diagram below :
5. Below is a table on what the lights mean and what they should be doing:
6. On your PC you can either use the supplied disk and follow the instructions or use or guide below on how to configure the settings on your router. .
7. Open Internet Explorer.
8. In the address bar along the top where you would normally type in a website address e.g www.bbc.co.uk type in the following: http://192.168.1.1 and press enter
* Please note that the address 192.168.1.1 or username and password may not be the case on another brand of router or a secondhand /used router. If this is the case you will need to reset this by following the instructions in the manual which if you dont have you can download from the suppliers website.
8. It should prompt you for a password this should be: 1234:
9. You should then be prompted to change the password, we recommend you do this but make sure you note your new password down and keep it in a safe place.If you dont change the password it will prompted you every time you login to your router to change the password. This is shown in the picture below.
10.Once you are logged in you should see the Site Map Screen as shown below:
- From this select Wizard Setup
11. The wizard setup will give you the inital setup screen to input your settings given you your ISP in this case Community Action Suffolk.
You will need to then set the following options:
- Encapsulation : PPPOA
- Multiplexing: VC
- VPI: 0
See Below image below:
Select next at the bottom
Next screen will be where you put all your connection details as provided by your ISP. See image below
If you have further problems or are not sure on how to do any of these steps please ring the helpdesk on 01473 345305
Click Save Settings
Once you router or Modem is setup
Once your router has been setup, physically all the cables are in the right location then all you should need to do is open your Internet Browser, i.e Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and it should then work via broadband. If it comes up with a box asking you to connect to a connection then cancel this and follow the below instructions.
Click Control Panel
Double Click Internet Options
Click Connections along the top
Select “never dial a connection” from the middle selection options
- ADSL Modem
- ADSL Router
- Improving Broadband Speeds
- Wireless Security
- Connecting to Wireless
- Setting up a Router
- BT Test Logins
- General Server Information
- Broadband Speed Test